Saturday, November 22, 2008

What A Support Group...


With Colby home and getting well I was thinking about the last six months as a whole. It's been quite a ride. Randi and I have been on an emotional roller coaster but it truly seems like the ride started at the bottom of the hill and has been steadily climbing ever since. When we first found out that Colby was going to face many challenges with his heart we knew that was going to affect all aspects of our lives. The amazing thing is there has always been a cast of people waiting to help at every turn. Our parents and families have been there to care for Brady and Abby for long periods of time. This has meant a lot to me because it has really helped to limit the stress on them. They have been allowed to be happy kids and it shows with how easily they love Colby, without resentment or jealousy of the added attention he requires. Our friends have been there with meals, to babysit, with a shoulder to cry on and to make us laugh. My squadron has been amazing. Despite an impending deployment, they took up any slack I left behind while I was gone, bent over backwards with my work schedule and most importantly treated me like family. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. I'm sure not many in the military that have been through such a trying time at home have received so much support from a unit that is forward deployed. Last but certainly not least, for the staff at UNC Children's Hospital, nothing can be said beyond thank you. You all feel like part of the family because of how much time and love you have given to my son and our family. Thank you.
P.S. Sorry for the NG Tube in the picture... Needed to be a picture of all three of them.

No comments: